Monday, June 30, 2014


Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.-Matthew 5:4

My soul does not need to be told that I am "good" in my place of discouragement over sin. I do not need to be puffed up to be lifted up, I do not need my pet-sins-turned-bengal-tigers to be groomed and given a heart-shaped dog tag. When I point to the boils covering my skin, I need a cure, not a cosmetic cream. I do not need a compliment, and neither do I need good advice--I need Good News

Just as there is a godly sorrow and a worldly sorrow, it appears to me that there is also a worldly comfort and a godly comfort. When the godly sorrow comes--when the conviction of sin brings an upheaval on our hearts--the comfort of this world will not suffice. It offers a counterfeit ease, a shot of caffeine in place of real rest.  

What does godly comfort look like? 

Looking to Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith. 
He is faithful and just to forgive us of our sin, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
He became sin who knew no sin, that we might become the righteousness of God. 

Jesus, our sweet, perfect comfort. He does not flatter us--He shows us we are far worse than we can imagine--but that He is the friend of sinners. He justifies the ungodly. We are wicked and unworthy--but He loves us. 

Godly comfort corners you into self-forgetful joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment