Saturday, May 15, 2010

Rejected Hero



I wrote this three or four years ago. Now reading it again, I see how it could be improved, but I will humbly re-post it (for the moment!) in it's imperfect glory...


"Tomorrow, tomorrow," the young lively boy did cry. "Not now, not now---tomorrow you can save my life." He went about, laughing at the fire. Skipping and playing but would not stop to kneel and pray.

Then I spotted a young woman flirting with her wine.
"Tomorrow, tomorrow," the shallow girl did cry. "Not now, not now, tomorrow you can save my life."
She opened her mouth to give forth a smile but where lie the teeth lived black decay, for I saw lust had eaten life's happiness away.

A rejected hero, I walked past the naive youth and corrupted woman when I came across a feeble hunchback who sat gnarly like a wizened oak.

Surely he would listen.

Surely he would let me save his life.

His faded grey eyes lifted to meet mine
as I stood before him frozen in time.
In clenched fist he held his life
In the other he held eternal life

"Today, today," I mummered in the hush. "Right now, right now, only today can I save your life."


And nothing was said for quite some time but a battle was growing louder with strife.
And I felt the strain of one hundred years of pain.
Then I watched his fingers peel away
As I watched the weight drop of ten thousand days of struggle and rubble.


Then a light drop of the knees

A never ending kissing of my feet

A flood of waters flooding the ground.

The sound of life and freedom at last to be found.

The wandering victim has found life's end
The man has taken the time to take the Saviour's hand.

2 comments:

  1. Makes me wanna comment in verse. Heh.

    I love the contrast of holding on to toxic, momentary pleasure vs. releasing one's burden. Beautiful.

    Well-paced, too. It slows when we meet the repentant man.

    ReplyDelete